Monday, March 17, 2008

What ever happned to my Privacy?

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away were a bunch of dudes that thought your rights were worth something. They have long since been dead, here in Canada we still have some privacy advocates but their ideas are eroding as well. We passed an act similar to the Patriot act in the U.S. our "War on terror" is simply severely underfunded. The United Kingdom did the same thing, what's really odd is that theirs was sparked by train bombings.



A great man once said:

If we sacrifice liberty for security even temporarily, we deserve neither!



That's as true today as it was three hundred years ago. In the latest onslaught against the rights of an individual; Phoem in the United Kingdom is going to team up with BT, now I hate British Telecom for a number of reasons, one of them is that it's a federally subsidized monopoly on telecommunications. Any Monopoly on telecom is bad; I say let the companies play and kill one another and then the monopoly that comes out of that should be told to play nice and if it doesn't break it up too. Say whatever did happen to bell?



Actually I'm against federal regulations, anyone should be able to connect anything to any network with a minimal licensing fee to ensure standards compliance and that's it. Now you can't do that, in the united states it's a bit easier, in Canada it's neigh impossible without a huge hunk of money for the CRTC and in the UK it's against the LAW.




Another thing that I once read was a compelling argument by one of the anonymous lawyers over at Lex Situs Conflictus (upper right hand corner link), stating that packet shaping equated to in Canada an invasion of privacy since everything inside the frame beyond the data headers was the property of the originator and in Canada if your computer is talking to people than it's as good as you talking to people.




The issue is that now any government agency, or company for that matter may listen in on that conversation, initially this was to make sure you weren't planning to blow something up, now it's to sell you more crap you don't need.




Yet another reason to use Tor, or Adblock+ for Firefox.


Do it! Do it Now! Stick it to the man!

Websites need advertisements to create revenue right? Since they themselves all evolve into avenues for advertising screw em!

I will glady click on ads on sites I like from vendors i hate that link to thing's I'll never buy and that in turn hoses the company I don't like, the nice thing about tabbed brosing is I don't even have to look at the page.



As to those of you that would like to watch or listen in on my conversations i say; go right ahead, I have nothing to hide. And I tend to use a lot of encryption for regular shit so if you want to see how I asked my girl friend weather or not she wanted vex or beer last night you may have to crack some moderately weak encryption first.



Which brings me to my point, when did it become O.K. for the state to eavesdrop on it's people?



To those of you still clinging on to that myth of terror i submit to you this:
Don't Believe the Hype

No comments:

Post a Comment